Statesboro: Georgia Teachers College, 1959.
Hardcover. 12" X 9 1/4". 208pp. MIld wear to blue plastic over boards with toning and rubbing to covers and edges. LIght foxing to endpapers. Signature of "Bob B. Browning," the original owner of the yearbook, in ink to front paste-down. Several signatures and friendly messages to "Bob" to front and rear endpapers. Binding is sound. Georgia Teachers College is now known as Georgia Southern University.
The Statesboro Campus was founded in 1906 as a school for teaching modern agricultural production techniques and homemaking skills to rural school children. The First District A&M School began within two decades to shift its emphasis to meet the growing need for teachers within the state. Its name and mission were changed in 1924 to Georgia Normal School as a training ground for educators, though it continued to accept “preparatory” or high school students. Five years later in 1929, full-fledged senior college status was granted as South Georgia Teachers College.
Ensuing decades saw additional name and mission changes: to Georgia Teachers College in 1939 and Georgia Southern College in 1959. Continued program and physical expansion, including one seven-year stretch, 1984-91 in which enrollment doubled from just over 6,000 to more than 12,000 students, led to a final transformation in 1990 – to Georgia Southern University.(From Website). Good +. Item #8010